If you are a risotto connoisseur, you may be surprised to see one major ingredient missing from this recipe: wine!
Wine may add a bit of flavor, but I find the risotto to be just as delicious without the wine. Plus you cut down on the overall expense of the dish! However, if you would like, you can add a 1/4 cup of dry white wine to the dish prior to adding the vegetable stock. 🙂
I make a few different risotto dishes, including a pea risotto and a pumpkin risotto. This is perhaps the most deluxe and expensive at $1.73 a plate, but it is absolutely delicious. We had it for dinner last night with a few slices of rosemary focaccia bread, and again leftover for lunch. I regret nothing!
Frugal Cost Analysis:
Fresh Tomato Risotto - Wine Not Required
This deluxe tomato and mozzarella risotto combines two types of fresh tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, Parmesan, and fresh basil which results in a delicious vegetarian meal for about $1.30 a serving.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced
- 3/4 cup arborio rice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- Heat vegetable broth in a small saucepan and simmer over low heat.
- Add olive oil to a large saucepan and and heat using medium heat. After it is heated, add diced onion and 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, or until onion is softened. Stir the onion occasionally.
- Add arborio rice and garlic to the onion. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add tomatoes and a ladleful of broth to the rice. Stir (you will need to stir frequently throughout the entire broth process). Once the broth is absorbed, add another ladleful of broth. Continue this process until the rice is tender. (I generally taste the rice to confirm). This process will likely take 20-25 minutes, and you may not need all of the vegetable broth.
- Remove from heat. Add shredded Parmesan cheese and stir. Add sliced grape tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella.