Before making these lava cakes, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I like chocolate?
- Do I have 15 minutes?
- Do I have $2?
If you answered yes to all of the above, you should proceed!
These lava cakes are one of my default recipes for entertaining. They are delicious and can be ready in just 15 minutes! My recipe is a modified version of a recipe I saw on Kraft’s website a few years ago (click here for original recipe).
The cost computation revealed that the lava cakes cost about $0.50 per person (without any whipped cream). See below for details:
15 Minute Dangerously Delicious Lava Cakes
Gooey and delicious lava cakes that are easy, quick, and relatively frugal at $0.50 a piece!
- 2 ounces of baker’s chocolate (I use semi-sweet)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- a few sprays of cooking spray
- chocolate syrup and whipped cream, if desired
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut butter and chocolate into pieces, place in a large microwave-save bowl (I use a large glass measuring cup), and microwave until the butter is melted. It usually take about a minute in my microwave on HIGH.
- Stir the butter and chocolate mixture until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Add powdered sugar and stir. Add egg and egg yolk and stir. Add flour and stir.
- Spray a cupcake tin (or small ramekins) lightly with cooking spray.
- Pour batter (about 3/4 of the way full) into cupcake tins.
- Bake 8 to 9 min. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Use a butter knife to gently remove lava cakes from cupcake tin.
- Garnish with chocolate syrup and whipped cream!