We love white cheddar popcorn, but don’t like to pay for the bagged version at the grocery store. The King Arthur Flour Vermont Cheddar Cheese powder is a splurge at about $9 a canister, but results in a more economical popcorn treat! After analyzing the cost, you will pay approximately $0.22 for a nice hot bowl of cheese popcorn (see below for analysis).
Frugal Cost Analysis:
|Item||Ingredient Cost per Unit||Units Required for Recipe||Total Cost|
|Popcorn||$ 0.47 per cup||1/4 cup||$0.12|
|Canola Oil||$ 0.02 per tablespoon||1.5 tablespoons||$0.03|
|Cheese Powder||$ 0.28 per tablespoon||1 tablespoon||$0.28|
|Total cost for 2 large bowls||$0.43|
|Total cost for 1 large bowl||$0.22|
Homemade White Cheddar Popcorn - Super Easy!
A stove-top version of white cheddar popcorn!
- 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels
- 1.5 tablespoon of oil (we use Canola oil)
- 1 tablespoon of cheese powder (we use King Arthur Flour Vermont Cheddar Cheese powder) Note: You may choose to add an addition 1/4 to 1/2 of a tablespoon of cheese powder
- salt to taste
- Add oil AND five popcorn kernels to a medium or large saucepan. You don’t want to add all of the kernels until after the oil is HOT!
- Heat the saucepan on medium heat.
- Once the five popcorn kernels pop, add the remaining 1/4 cup of kernels.
- Allow the kernels to pop until you the popping slows and you don’t hear a pop every 2-3 seconds. (usually about 5 minutes on medium heat)
- Pour the popcorn in a bowl (do not add the cheese powder to the saucepan, as it will burn!)
- Shake 1 tablespoon of cheese powder over the popcorn.
- Stir the popcorn, add salt to taste, and serve!